It is currently Wed 13. Dec 2017, 07:58

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starting with PLCBUS
PostPosted: Wed 20. Oct 2010, 14:23 

OK, I think I know enough to get started.
I will order the items somewhere and probably post back when I start having troubles ;)

Thanks a lot for all your help! :)

PostPosted: Thu 31. Mar 2011, 18:11 

Well, I'm back! Got the devices and communicating OK :)

A have a few questions regarding the 1141 commands. The PDF isn't one I could call specific ;)

1. If a command has a # ("Signal needing feedback") does it mean (for me, as an Interface user) that:
-if successfully received by a device I will get some sort of confirmation
-if NOT received I will NOT get anything
So when I send ON to a device and it gets the command it will respond with the exact same data I sent it plus Bit6 (R_ID_SW) in the additional RX_TX_SWITCH byte?

2. For commands that require a parameter - what format should I use? I can't see anything about that...
-DIM: "DATA1 is dim fade rate" but fade rate in what? Time to go 100% -> 0%? Levels per second? If so - how many levels are there? How to encode the value? For example for 10 do I send 0x0A?
-BRIGHT: "DATA1 is bright fade rate" exactly the same question as above...
-BLINK: does it work? I've read somewhere here it doesn't. If it does, what to send in DATA1?
-PRESETDIM: Does it set the % of dim and the time (in what units?)? Does it only send the values to the device to remember (programming) or does it also execute the command? Or maybe it doesn't change anything in the device memory and just does it once?
-STATUS ON: The description is copy-pasted from the PRESETDIM so I don't know what it does...

3. When I receive data from the interface it has a checksum. How do I compute that to verify data integrity?
4. RX_TX_SWITCH register
Bit6(R_ID_SW): 1 for 'yes I got your command', 0 for other types of received data. What "feedback data" will be stored in DATA1+DATA2?
Bit5(R_ACK_SW): 1 for 'yes I'm here' after I specially send a command (any command?) with ACK_Pulse bit set?
Bit4(R_ITSELF) and Bit3(R_RISC): no idea here :(
Bit2(R_SW): the same as Bit6? Probably not...

Sorry for such a lot of questions at a time, but this information isn't clear enough in the PDF...

PostPosted: Fri 1. Apr 2011, 11:34 
Administrator

Hi QmQ,

here a few answers:

# Signal needing feedback:
This says that you get back a feedback. Most time it is the ACK feedback.

But there are also commands they get back other command:
STATUS ON and STATUS OFF are the feedback of STATUS REQ
REPORT SIGNAL STRNEGTH is feedback for GET SIGNAL STRENGTH
REPORT NOISE STRENGTH is feedback for GET NOISE STRENGHT
REPORT ALL ID PULES is feedback for GET ALL ID PULSE
REPORT ONLY ON PULSE is feedback for GET ONLY ON PULSE

*Command with Data Bit
This says the bytes 5 and 6 of the messages have or need valid data.
All bytes in a message e.g. data1 and data2 are hex coded.
100 = 64hex
10 = 0Ahex

Blink do nothing!

Parameter “brightness” most DATA1 is % of brightness. A value between 0-100 or 00hex-64hex.
Parameter “Fade rate” is time dimmer needs to fade up to 100%. Standard value is 3.
That says dimmer needs 3 seconds from OFF to 100% ON. A value between 0-10 seconds.
A lamp module with PRESETDIM - Fade rate 0 and Brightness 100 - is like a relay.

PLCBUSguru

PostPosted: Fri 1. Apr 2011, 13:45 

Thanks for the information!

A few more questions:
1. What will REPORT SIGNAL STRENGTH and REPORT NOISE STRENGTH send back? I mean what's the unit? Some sort of %of quality? dBsomething? Other unit?
2. I have a 1-phase installation I think. What will I get when I send GET ALL ID PULSE/GET ONLY ON PULSE? The REPORT* commands are marked with "For 3-phase power line only".
3. Just to clarify - "like a relay" as in a dimming module works like a ON/OFF module, right? So ANY dimming module can replace an ON/OFF module?
4. What about the checksum - how is it computed? Do I need to check it or does the interface include data validation routines?
5. Do you know of any power line distance limitations PLCBUS might have?
6. My signal doesn't seem to 'go through' my houses fuse box. I think it's all 1-phase but maybe (just maybe) the power line from the power plant is 3-phase (I must ask an electrician about that). What might be blocking the signal? No UPS anywhere at home.

Thanks for all the help! :)

PostPosted: Sat 2. Apr 2011, 14:35 

Hi QmQ,

I too am experimenting with PLCBUS.

I can't answer all you questions, but here is what I know:

Each house has a + line into his house (Phase), and a 0 line back.
On certain countries, or at big homes, one isn't enough and then sometimes each house has 3 phases coming into his house and provide 3 different feeds.

Due to some facts about how electricity works, when there are 3 phases, PLC can't be sent to all phases passively.
You need a unit to receive the transmission and actively retransmit it to all the phases. This unit is called a 3 Phase Coupler.

When need to control a module installed on a different phase, you need to send the command to the Coupler and it will retransmit, receive the ack and transmit the ack back to you.

That's why there are variations in the command for 1 phase and 3 phase.

Also, PLCBUS commands don't pass the fuse box outside your house. It's not designed to do so. The "Fuse Box" acts as a filter in this regard. Of course you can't rely of it not passing interference.

PostPosted: Mon 4. Apr 2011, 12:59 

I'll draw you a schematic :)

Code:
==>[POWER LINE FROM POWER PLANT]==>[MAIN FUSE (outside home)]==>[FUSEBOX (inside home)]---...
                                                                 [F]      [F]      [F]
                                                                  |        |        |
                                                                  |        |        |
                                                             kitchen    bedroom    living room

The fuse box inside home has a bunch of fuses - one per room (kitchen has one, bathroom has one, living room...) and each room has it's own 230V power line connected (via it's fuse) to the main power line that enters the fuse box from outside.

In this kind of installation is it possible that PLCBUS signal can't "go through" the home fuse box (from one room to another)?

The thing is when I plug the interface in the kitchen and the module in the living room there's no communication. I have asked a few people and all suspect that only one phase enters the 'home' fuse box - so it's a 1-phase installation as far as I'm concerned. So, what might be blocking the signal in the home fuse box?

Also, let's say I don't find a solution. Can I buy/use the 3-phase couple to couple only two phases? Or, to be correct, two separate 1-phase power lines?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon 4. Apr 2011, 16:24 
Administrator

If you have only one phase installation, you must able to communicate between the rooms.

What kind of interface plug do you use – German plug?

If you use an interface with German plug be careful the plug is plugged in correct!
For testing; plug in your interface upside down and try again!

PLCBUSguru

PostPosted: Mon 4. Apr 2011, 22:05 

Well, you got me there... :)

I'm using German plugs through a French <-> German adapter. And you're right! When I flip it upside down it works! :D
Can I damage the module when I plug it the wrong way? It's like 'whatever way you like' here ;)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon 11. Apr 2011, 10:42 

Hi again,

I've been experimenting for a while now and I have two more questions:
1. At one, single time I had a problem. The PC Interface has either stopped working (although it was buzzing each time I send a command) or the plug-in lamp module. I have not changed a thing. I just kept on playing and for some reason it stopped working. I had to unplug everything and plug it back - fortunately everything is OK and working. Anyone had a similar issue?
2. Is there a way to get a notification when I manually turn a lamp On/Off via the switch on the module? Or do I have to constantly pool with STATUS_REQ?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon 11. Apr 2011, 12:46 
Administrator

The inductor inside the interface going hot when you playing too much.
Have a look to this thread!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51

PLCBUSguru

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next